By Ben Gove
Gove analyzes promiscuity inside American homosexual tradition and the basis assumptions and contradictions that give a contribution to dominant understandings of promiscuous intercourse and hope. He demanding situations the normative dichotomy of "bad" homosexual male promiscuity and "good" heterosexual monogamy and provides a much wider evaluation of yankee attitudes in the direction of sexual perform and hope. the writer attracts at the autobiographical fiction and memoirs of 3 influential authors from the early Sixties onwards: John Rechy, Larry Kramer, and David Wojnarowicz, in addition to different queer serious, ancient, and fictional viewpoints to demonstrate the argument.
Read Online or Download Cruising Culture PDF
Best gay & lesbian books
Homosexual black males, a thriving way of life of the black and homosexual groups, are doubly marginalized. besides different black males, they're generally portrayed within the media and literature as ''street nook men''--unemployed drifters, absentee fathers, substance abusers. within the higher homosexual group, they're an invisible minority.
An research of Charlotte Perkins Gilman" transparent and dependent method of structure, panorama, and local layout.
This well timed and strong booklet seeks to fill the learning hole in operating with LGBTQQI consumers and their households. Thirty-two appealing case stories research modern matters affecting those populations to help scholars, training counselors, and different psychological health and wellbeing execs in evaluate, remedy making plans, and implementation.
This ebook takes either transgender and intersex positions under consideration and asks approximately commonalities and strategic alliances when it comes to wisdom, idea, philosophy, artwork, and lifestyles adventure. It moves a stability among works on literature, movie, images, activities, legislations, and common idea, bringing jointly humanistic and social technology methods.
- Business, Not Politics: The Making of the Gay Market
- Male Femaling: A grounded theory approach to cross-dressing and sex-changing
- The Brothers Bishop
- Doubting Sex: Inscriptions, Bodies and Selves in Nineteenth-Century Hermaphrodite Case Histories
- Seeing the Sunrise
Extra info for Cruising Culture
57. 58. 59. 60. 61. 62. 63. 64. 65. 66. 67. 68. 69. 70. , pp. 79–80. Crimp, ‘How to have promiscuity’, p. 253. Quoted in Parkes, ‘Silences and secrets’, p. 56. Holleran, Ground Zero, p. 114. Berlant and Warner, ‘Sex in public’, p. 560. Freud, ‘General theory of the neuroses’, pp. 419–20. Of course, Freud is well aware of the constant overlap between these two realms throughout much of his writing. ‘Typical phantasy structures (intra-uterine existence, primal scene, castration, seduction) which psycho-analysis reveals to be responsible for the organisation of phantasy life, regardless of the personal experiences of different subjects,’ and which ‘have one trait in common: they are all related to the origins.
44. Julien and Mercer, ‘True confessions’, p. 171; emphasis added. 45. Fain, ‘Is our “lifestyle” hazardous to our health? Part II,’ p. 19; cited in Weeks, Sexuality and its Discontents, p. 47. 46. Seidman, Romantic Longings, p. 169. 47. Delany, The Motion of Light in Water, p. 354. ’ Here the distinction appears to be between ‘promiscuous sex’ with strangers (usually in public spaces) and ‘social sex’ with known partners, such as his wife and their live-in male lover. Earlier, however, Delany argues that his sexual encounters in the riverside trucks ‘with thirty-five, fifty, a hundred all-but-strangers .
176. 38. Julien and Mercer, ‘True confessions’, p. 169. 39. Holleran, Dancer, p. 131. 40. Sondheim and Wheeler, A Little Night Music, pp. 101–2. 41. Phillips, Monogamy, p. 29. 42. Foucault, The History of Sexuality, p. 37. 43. Millett, Sexual Politics, p. 122n. See also Wolf, Promiscuities. 44. Julien and Mercer, ‘True confessions’, p. 171; emphasis added. 45. Fain, ‘Is our “lifestyle” hazardous to our health? Part II,’ p. 19; cited in Weeks, Sexuality and its Discontents, p. 47. 46. Seidman, Romantic Longings, p.
Cruising Culture by Ben Gove