By Graeme Nicholson (auth.)
Read or Download Seeing and Reading PDF
Similar criticism & interpretation books
This can be the 1st single-authored ebook on Asian American biblical interpretation. It covers all the significant genres in the New testomony and broadens biblical hermeneutics to hide not just the biblical texts, but additionally Asian American literature and present motion pictures and occasions like genome examine and September eleven.
"This publication totally crucifies the argument for a benevolent author. what is extra, it makes use of the creationist's most-cited resource to do it. " - dailyatheist. web God Hates You, Hate Him again makes the final word case for the declare that the God of the Bible is the main depraved personality within the pages of heritage.
We're enormously indebted to Dr. Redford for this thorough piece of labor. It illustrates the necessity for monographs which may assemble jointly the gathered result of sustained study with extra amplitude than is feasible in a piece of writing and extra aspect than is feasible in a observation. there are lots of different specific chunks of culture within the OT, fairly within the Pentateuch, which deserve such therapy.
- Can we still believe the Bible? : an evangelical engagement with contemporary questions
- A Cry Instead of Justice: The Bible and Cultures of Violence in Psychological Perspective
- Sex in the Bible: A New Consideration
- Schadet die Bibelwissenschaft dem Glauben? Klärung eines Konflikts
- Hermeneutics at the crossroads
Additional resources for Seeing and Reading
4. The Main Theories of Interpretation As the study of interpretation developed throughout Western history, it was split into several departments-theological, literary, and legal, above all-but the possibility of a general theory of interpretation has been pursued by various thinkers, with varying degrees of success, throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. It was precisely when theological hermeneutics was called to the aid of literary hermeneutics and brought into connection with legal hermeneutics that the most significant theories of interpretation came to be formulated.
Every project is a fragmentary trajectory in a human life. For we are moved to act by need and desire, concerning which we have only a small measure of control-although there are great inequalities on this score-and of which we have only fragmentary consciousness. The agent is by no means a mind that is sovereign, consistent, unchanging. This does not mean that a life is without unity. It means that such unity as we find in it cannot be that of a conscious design. Just as the individual project is a sequence of actions rather than the goal that organizes them, so the connection among different projects in a lifetime is a tissue of projects formed in the course of their execution rather than in their design.
The case of art history is, admittedly, an exception, because we cannot think of the art as a text. So we cannot speak of translating it except in a metaphorical sense, but if we did, we could not differentiate translation from commentary. ) Let me add one more word about my overall hypothesis. In the time of Kant, there was a question about the cognitive status of mathematics and physics. Kant approached the problem through a scrutiny of the human understanding as a whole. A study of sensible intuition and judgments of human understanding showed Kant that there were factors at work a priori.
Seeing and Reading by Graeme Nicholson (auth.)